Updated bzr vs hg vs git benchmarking results

Tom Widmer tom.widmer at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 10:21:28 BST 2009

Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> Bazaar 2.0 now looks pretty hot vs Mercurial 1.3 w.r.t storage
> efficiency. I'm still collecting some results for bzr vs git. See
> http://bazaar-vcs.org/Benchmarks.
>
> If benchmarking is your thing, please let us know how 2.0 stacks up for
> your project by blogging and linking to your post from that page. In
> particular, it would be great if:
>
> * we had updated performance data, speeds not just sizes.

I might get some Windows results on our Windows SVN repo against hg and
git some time. Same results on repo size by the way - Bzr and Git are
almost identical, hg about 30% behind, or 50% in actual disk usage.

One thing to note though is that hg-fast-export loses move information.
To be fairer, you'd have either to fix that (I raised a bug against
bzr-fast-import, which was unfair), or to re-import the fast-export back
into hg. Mind you, improved fairness is likely to be in Bzr's favour,
since I guess it can delta compress moved files against the source, a
feature that HG currently lacks as far as I know.

git-fast-export can include the "guessed" moves and copies in the stream
as an option (-C -M I think), so that's probably a fairer comparison.

Tom