RFC: Home page design

Michael Gliwinski Michael.Gliwinski at henderson-group.com
Wed Sep 16 13:55:41 BST 2009

On Tuesday 15 September 2009 15:22:32 Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> > > 6. nicer screenshot in the carousel area (thanks Gary!)
> >
> > Which made the banner section even huger than the too-huge it
> > already was.  I know that particular banner is only for the home
> > page, but still, I find it most excessive.
>
> Please read: http://bazaar-vcs.org/BazaarPersonas
> The screen shots must be big enough to be "readable" by our target market.
> Currently the image is 247 pixels. This is not excessively large given its
> job of convincing people that Bazaar has a "usable" GUI suitable for
> non-technical people. Chances are good that if you're subscribed to this
> list, you're not the target market for that image. :)

Corect me if I'm wrong but from that page I can see most of the target
audience are actually technical people?  Will non-technical people really be
shopping for a VCS system for themselves?  I'd imagine they will have it
selected for them by someone more knowledgeable on the subject.

Also, I don't recall that subscribing to this list changed me noticeably ;)
Before subscribing to the list I had the same dislike for huge banners.  I'm
sure it will also be the case for some newcomers.  How is being subscribed to
the list relevant?

In any case, let's assume some people coming to the front page will care if
Bazaar has a GUI and like you said you want to show them screenshots.  My
question is, does it really have to be in the banner?  Or do they have to be
so large in the banner?  Couldn't it be done so that the screenshot or even
entire banner expands when hovered/clicked?

At the moment, this combined with fixed width makes this page really hard to
navigate from handhelds for example.  For reference see attached screenshot
of how it looks like on maemo browser on N810.

Regards,

Michael Gliwinski
Henderson Group Information Services
9-11 Hightown Avenue, Newtownabby, BT36 4RT
Phone: 028 9034 3319