strange win32 installation problem with bzr-1.18.1-1

Maritza Mendez martitzam at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 03:29:42 BST 2009

WinXP SP3

As a Normal user,

* install bzr-1.18.1-1 via the standalone installer via Run
As...Adminitstrator with admin password
* install bzr-explorer via the standalone installer via Run
As...Adminitstrator with admin password

'bzr explore' gives

0.078  bzr arguments: [u'explorer']
0.078  looking for plugins in C:/Documents and Settings/Maritza/Application
Data/bazaar/2.0/plugins
0.078  looking for plugins in C:/Program Files/Bazaar/plugins
0.156  encoding stdout as sys.stdout encoding 'cp437'
0.297  Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bzrlib\commands.pyo", line 835, in exception_to_return_code
  File "bzrlib\commands.pyo", line 1030, in run_bzr
  File "bzrlib\commands.pyo", line 647, in run_argv_aliases
  File "C:/Program Files/Bazaar/plugins\explorer\__init__.py", line 127, in
run
  File "C:/Program Files/Bazaar/plugins\explorer\lib\explorer.py", line 151,
in __init__
  File "C:/Program Files/Bazaar/plugins\explorer\lib\explorer_profile.py",
line 107, in load_profile
  File "C:/Program Files/Bazaar/plugins\explorer\lib\explorer_profile.py",
line 53, in __init__
WindowsError: [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified:
u'C:/Documents and Settings/Maritza/Application Data/bazaar/2.0/explorer'

Sure enough -- the 'bazaar' directory in 'Application Data' does not exist.
Obviously other plugins fail too.

If I log out and log back in as the same user then the directory is
automatically created for me and everything works.

This may seem like a very strange situation (Normal user knowing the Local
Administrator password) for developers who usually have Local Admin privs,
but some of us deliberately run in a lower-privilege account either because
we are paranoid or because we want to live the customer experience every
day.

I discovered this while trying to create some getting started instructions
for new users on a completely clean install of winXP.  I have not had time
to reproduce this.  If it is a known issue, please tell me.  If it is not a
known issue, I will file a bug.  I believe the best resolution is to simply
tell people that they must actually be logged as Administrator to install
(and not just run the installer as Administrator).

My work time is very limited this week and I may be invisible for a few
days.  I'll see replies when I get back.

Thanks
~M