[RFC] Changing the generate_commit_message_template and commit_message_template hook APIs

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Sep 13 23:47:55 BST 2009

On Sun, 2009-09-13 at 12:22 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> They run commit in a subprocess to make sure that the main thread stays
> responsive. They could probably run it in a thread, but a subprocess is
> a little bit more isolated.

A subprocess could still callback across a process divide (e.g. via
multiprocessing, bzr-xmlrpc, or something hand brewed).

> As for the rest, I think Gary mentioned that they want to populate their
> editor *before* they start commit, not in the middle. This is also the
> time where people would be doing file selection, etc. So they want to
> know what they are going to do early rather than late.

I understand the specific request but *not the motivation*.

If QBzr is a commit message editor, it should play nice with template
altering plugins, which means letting them see *the commit* - and that
means that the inventory should be in the repository so accurate
non-racy data can be obtained.

-Rob