Failure during remote upgrade

Barry Warsaw barry at canonical.com
Wed Sep 30 16:45:24 BST 2009

On Sep 30, 2009, at 11:25 AM, Philippe Lhoste wrote:

> Uh? Not the same as your error (sorry if that's hijacking, but this
> is somehow related) but annoying none less, and leaving me like you:
> what to do after that? How to correct the issue?

So, John helped me walk through a few different scenarios on irc, but
here's what I ultimately did:

* renamed (using the LP web ui) lp:~mailman-coders/mailman/3.0 to
lp:~mailman-coders/mailman/3.0-obsolete-do-not-use
* pushed my locally converted branch to lp:~mailman-coders/mailman/
mm3-2a
* renamed (using the LP web ui) lp:~mailman-coders/mailman/mm3-2a to
lp:~mailman-coders/mailman/3.0
* re-establish the dev focus of my 3.0 series to ~mailman-coders/
mailman/3.0

I did it this way because it was fairly simple (sometimes the obvious
is staring you in the face ;) and because I did not want to blow away
the old 3.0 branch.  There were merge proposals hanging off it, and
even though they were merged already, I didn't want to delete those
proposals.

John had some other suggestions which included blowing away the .bzr
directory and doing a push --use-existing-dir but I avoided that
because you can't do it with plain sftp, and stuff like that makes me
nervous anyway ;).

After all is said and done, I think the safest way to migrate your
Launchpad branches is to basically follow these instructions:

http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/latest/en/upgrade-guide/index.html#data-migration

with some caveats:

* Do not attempt a remote upgrade unless your network connection is
rock solid.  If it fails part way through, your branch will be in a
bad state that will require sftp surgery to fix.

* Local upgrades work pretty well and were reasonably fast, although I
have a beefy new machine :)

* Push your local upgrade to Launchpad under a different name before
you attempt to futz with any existing old-format branches on Launchpad.

* The instructions under Migrating branches on Launchpad say: "On
Launchpad, unset the current trunk from being the development focus.
(This must be done or the following step won’t work as expected.)" but
this is actually fairly well hidden.

   * Go to your project's home page
   * Look for "XXX is the current focus of development", e.g. "GNU
Mailman 3.0 series is the current focus of development"
   * Click the edit icon (pencil)
   * Click on Change details
   * Scroll down to where it says "Branch: (Optional)"
   * Blank out this input field and click Change

Once you've migrated your branch and it's all pushed back to
Launchpad, you'll want to re-establish the dev focus branch for your
dev focus series.  Go back to that page with "Branch: (Optional)" e.g. http://launchpad.net/mailman/3.0/+edit
  and enter the name of your branch again, then click Change.

So it's doable, but Launchpad should make the workflow much easier.
-Barry