lock free dirstate - prototype

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Wed Sep 30 05:13:36 BST 2009

Robert,

Thanks for your clear and concise reply.

On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 18:17 +1000, Robert Collins wrote:

> Upgrade to 2a.
> Please.

:)

> No, this is a tree format only, its totally local.

Having pondered this, I have concluded that I have no idea what that
means.

I speculate that it is connected to whatever the difference is between
Repository formats, Branch formats, and Working Tree formats, as seen
when one does a verbose info:

        moonglow ~/workspace/quill $ bzr info -v
        Checkout (format: 2a)
        Location:
               checkout root: .
          checkout of branch: /home/andrew/src/quill/footnotes

        Related branches:
          parent branch: /home/andrew/src/quill/mainline
          submit branch: .

        Format:
               control: Meta directory format 1
          working tree: Working tree format 6
                branch: Branch format 7
            repository: Repository format 2a - rich roots, group compression and chk inventories

        In the working tree:
               180 unchanged
                 0 modified
                 0 added
                 0 removed
                 0 renamed
                 1 unknown
                 2 ignored
                19 versioned subdirectories

        Branch history:
               200 revisions
               325 days old
           first revision: Sat 2008-11-08 19:47:51 +1100
          latest revision: Fri 2009-09-25 23:24:14 +1000

        Repository:
               469 revisions
        moonglow ~/workspace/quill $

Hm. Apparently there are 4 parameters to the format(x, y, z, a)
function.

Well. I think I already knew that "2a" is a Repository format. While
certainly the info output above makes that clear, I inferred it a year
or two ago from the fact that doing `bzr upgrade` in a branch [under a
shared repository] takes like no time whereas a `bzr upgrade` up in ..
does real work.

So I imagine I don't know is what a Branch format is, or what a Working
Tree format is [and Control is entirely new on me. Apparently I don't
use `bzr info -v` very often].

But that all leads me to being curious what you meant by "local". I'm
guessing it means a `bzr upgrade` that impacts either a Branch format or
Working Tree format [whatever that is] *as incarnated in a local
directory* and not something that propagates?

Ah. You said "tree format". That means Working Tree format, I assume?
And that's "local" [only]?

AfC
Sydney