keyword expansion and post_commit hook in 2.0 (was Re: DRAFT 2.0.0 ANNOUNCEMENT)

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Sep 28 04:03:52 BST 2009

Ian Clatworthy writes:

 > So the gap between 2.0.2 and 2.1b2 will be much bigger and 2.0.3 and
 > 2.1b3 will be bigger again.

In terms of features, yes.  The users that 2.0.X aims at are mostly
indifferent to features.  Will their perception of the riskiness of
2.0.X be that much better than that of 2.1bY?  That is the question.
If the answer is "no", 2.0.X is basically a waste of effort.

My point is that a "read my lips: no" policy reduces risk (in reality
a little and in perception a greater amount) while reducing cost.  It
makes the user's decision easy.