Simplifying the Downloads page

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Sun Sep 27 12:39:02 BST 2009

John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> Well, you made it so you can't actually get a download without tracking
> through to another page. Which is ok, but not great.

It's certainly a tradeoff. I feel that it doesn't scale trying to have
all the important information (e.g. how to decide between different
installation options) for all the important platforms all on one page.
Speaking for myself, I'd rather have a single page covering that for
Windows users, another for OS X users, another for Linux users, etc.
than have the links+info spread over multiple Wiki pages (and
potentially inconsistent).

> Also, we explicitly want the link to all old downloads. It was a request
> from people using easy_install with bzr. I don't remember exactly why it
> was necessary, but it was requested.

Oops. It sounds like Martin may have fixed this though by updating the
PyPi configuration data. (I much prefer that to keeping a long list on
tar.gz links on the downloads page.)

Ian C.