[Bzr-mac] [DRAFT] Bazaar 2.0.0 distribution for Snow Leopard

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Sun Sep 27 10:57:07 BST 2009

Jean-Francois Roy wrote:
> Here's my first bake of a binary distribution of Bazaar 2 for Snow Leopard.
>
> http://www.devklog.net/software/Bazaar2.0.0.pkg

Thank-you! When you're happy with it, please mention this on the OS X
downloads page. I guess it ought to be uploaded to the formal downloads
page (https://launchpad.net/bzr/2.0/2.0.0) then as well.

> It includes the following packages:
>
> - bzr 2.0.0
> - subvertpy 0.6.9
> - bzr-email 0.0.1
> - bzr-keychain 0.1
> - bzr-rewrite 0.5.4
> - bzr-svn 1.0
> - bzrtools 2.0.1

What's bzr-keychain? Should we include it in the Windows installer? In
the Plugins Guide?

> I consider this distribution a sort of "core" distribution with only the
> most useful plug-ins included. If you have additional plug-ins to add to
> this list, please feel free to let me know.

Please add bzr-upload 1.0 and bzr-xmloutput 0.8.5.

> There are some missing items in the distribution, and I would appreciate
> feedback on them:
>
> - Suitable read-me. The Bazaar read-me doesn't make sense (at least not
> in its entirety).
> - Description for each of the components.

I think each "package" like this needs it's own README.txt including
"known issues" relevant to users of that package. For example, I'd like
to see the one for the Windows installer explain that we know how about
explorer having an unwanted dos window behind it and we're working on
fixing that. I'm sure there are things like that we ought to mention in
the Mac one as well, e.g. where to download the HTML or PDF docs from
and how to (separately) install the GUI tools.

> Do note that I am not including any UI-related plug-ins with this
> distribution. I think we need to re-think how we distribute a UI on Mac
> OS X, namely that we should package as an application bundle
> bzr-explorer (along with bzr and all dependencies). This is what
> non-expert Mac OS X users expect and want.

Right. Until we have that, our appeal to new Mac users will be limited
IMO. So I'm really hoping we can get that sorted out soon.

> I wrote a fairly simple script to build the distribution, coupled with a
> PackageMaker document. I can put up a branch of it on Launchpad if there
> is interest.

Yes please. We should merge what you're doing with Guillermo's current
branch [1] and turn it into a new project soon.

Ian C.

[1] https://code.launchpad.net/~verterok/bzr/OSX-10.4-dmg