[rfc] developer documentation on user interaction

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Sun Sep 27 10:32:53 BST 2009

2009/9/25 Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net>:
> Currently bzr emits to stderr tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much different information. I've tried to point to the fact that writing things via ui factory currently does not solve the problem with trace.py module. They seems to live in different planes. Am I wrong?

I'm sending a series of patches now that cleans up trace to only send
messages out though the UI objects - that was the point of the
original rfc.  (And I actually wondered if anyone would respond ;-).

This discussion of qbzr running bzr in a subprocess points to an
interesting thing qbzr does in SubprocessUIFactory, which provides a
UIFactory that serializes everything on to a pipe.  I think this is a
valid case and bzrlib ought to support it, so that all user input and
output can be caught this way.  I'm not sure how far we can push this:
to have really great guis it may be necessary to have finer-grained
interaction that is possible in this model.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>