[RFC] Website refresh for 2.0.0

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Sep 26 08:34:19 BST 2009

Ian Clatworthy writes:
 > In the last 24 hours, I've updated the proposed new website and Emma has
 > uploaded new images/buttons. Here's the net result:
 >
 > * http://people.canonical.com/~ianc/dancingmonkeys/

Looks very nice in Safari on Mac OS X 10.5.

One comment, the "buttons" in the bar at the top are misleading: they
change color when the pointer enters them, but they are not clickable
(for me, anyway).  You have to actually move the pointer to the text.
This is especially annoying for short words like "Help" and "Docs".

Ah, a second comment: the logos are poorly aligned to my eye.  Maybe a
slightly different background for them?

The linked-to pages look very nice.  I have a few rather picky
comments, except for the Download situation which is not at all newbie
friendly -- that's important (and unfortunately, I don't know what to
suggest since the basic idea, to provide easy-to-install packages for
everybody, is newbie friendly).

 > * http://bazaar-vcs.org/Welcome has been simplified.

"Our primary page for getting help is the Community link in the header
of this Wiki."  Doesn't give me warm fuzzies.  How about:

"Start with the 'Community' link in this Wiki's header: the Bazaar
community is active and friendly.  Support contracts are available
from Canonical[ and VendorA][, and training from VendorB]."

When more than three such vendors ask to be represented, *move* the
lot to a separate page, and make "Support contracts are available" a
link to that page.  IMO, Canonical's offerings can stay on this page,
in which case it might want to read "Training and support contracts
are available from `Canonical and other vendors`_."  I wouldn't want
to see Canonical have a direct link to its service offerings from the
Welcome page.  However, I think that saying the Canonical does offer
those services might attract more people to look at the Services page
even if they decide to go with a third party.

 > * http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrFeatures has been updated. It now includes
 >   a 60 second summary on why teams and communities ought to use Bazaar
 >   (together with lots of information from the old Welcome page).

In "Uniquely Powerful", "you can use standard clients" is a little
disorienting.  I think you should disambiguate with "you can use
standard bzr clients and commands to access any or all of them."

 > * http://bazaar-vcs.org/Download has been split into multiple pages.

"Ouch" is all I can say.  The top page should have three buttons:
Source $version, Mac $version, Windows $version, and then the list of
links.  Sure, it will work as is, but it needs some loving.

 > * http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrExtras has been added.

A little light on specifics.  More examples would be useful (although
like vendors, that could be controversial depending on whose baby gets
omitted).