Re: Splitting diff hunks in ‘shelve’

Benoît PIERRE benoit.pierre at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 23:37:03 BST 2009

Excerpts from Ben Finney's message of Thu Sep 24 02:19:54 +0200 2009:
> Howdy all,
>
> I love the ‘shelve’ operation [0], and it's a delight to be able to
> decide post-hoc that I've been working on what should be distinct
> commits.
>
> One thing I'd love to see, though, is to be able to split a diff hunk
> that has entangled what I consider to be two or more separate changes,
> and be able to answer differently for each one.
>
> Emacs can do this in its ‘diff’ mode, with ‘diff-split-hunk’; but that
> relies on the fact that Emacs can use the current cursor point as input
> for *where* to split the hunk. I don't know what the equivalent would be
> in Bazaar's ‘shelve’ interaction.
>
> Has this idea been worked on before? With what results?

I have some code for that. It's missing some tests and the hunk
splitting code should probably be moved somewhere else but it's a start.

I just updated my branch and published it on launchpad:

https://code.launchpad.net/~benoit.pierre/bzr/shelve_with_hunk_splitting