Updated Plugins Guide - questions and RFT

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Thu Sep 24 02:51:17 BST 2009

Martin Pool wrote:

> It looks nice.

Thanks.

> Is this going to supersede the plugins page on the
> wiki? Or if not, how are they going to relate.

Good questions. It wasn't designed to replace the main plugins registry
(but I guess it could in time). The focus is more on providing detailed
documentation on what each plugin provides w.r.t. features and commands.
In that sense, there's probably an argument for moving material off
plugin home pages into the plugin help so it appears here.

In the short term, I'd like to align the registry and guide using the
categories. That should make it more obvious what plugins are *not*
included here yet. We should gradually add more plugins here as users
find them useful and reliable.

> The wiki plugin table is a bit annoying to maintain so moving it here
> would be ok with me.

As I indicated to Robert, driving things off data files seems the right
long term direction. I don't plan to solve the big picture today though.

> However,
> we don't want people thinking that they're all the same - perhaps
> that's just as simple as suggesting folks look at the plugin's own web
> page.

So one option is:

1. The plugin registry is the master list of what's available.

2. Inclusion in the Plugins Guide implies others have found this
   useful, it's reasonable quality and it's not just an experiment.

> Perhaps there should be an invitation to have your plugin added.

Certainly.

Ian C.