Is Bazaar's document distributed under GPL?

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Tue Sep 22 00:21:29 BST 2009

2009/9/22 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>:
> Martin Pool writes:
>  > 2009/9/21 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>:
>
>  > > This is a major problem.  In a language like Python (or Emacs Lisp,
>  > > where I have to deal with the God-Forsaken DL on a daily basis when
>  > > porting Emacs to XEmacs), it is potentially very costly in terms of
>  > > redundant rewriting to comply with the GFDL.
>  >
>  > It is a major problem in general, but it's not a major problem here
>  > because we have a single copyright holder who will make exercise
>  > common sense in allowing text to move between the two of them.
>
> No.  I still have to ask permission if I want to give my sister a
> modified copy.  Companies making internal training materials etc will
> have every excuse for not releasing their internal improvements --
> it's against the law.  It's *not* about Canonical's convenience, it's
> about promoting software freedom.

The "this" in Stephen's text quoted above refers to "copying text from
the user guide to the code or vice versa", and whether using two
licences makes it substantially harder.  I don't see how it directly
relates to the training materials case or his sister.

The closest thing I can see is: Stephen wants to give his sister an
improved copy of the user guide that contains some quotes of
gpl-licenced code.  He can do this, but only if the resulting manual
is covered by the GPL.  Alternatively, he can give us a patch that
makes those changes and we will (handwave) rubber stamp the
relicensing.

>  >  * This licence is popular for wikis, so Bazaar text can be copied
>  > into them and vice versa.
>
> This is more important than copying Bazaar text from code to
> documentation and back?  I'm confused.

I don't know.  I'm trying to work out why people want CC-BY-SA and
whether it justifies the hassle of two licences.  I was hoping other
people would either add points to that list, or say "yes, and that's
super important" or say "huh, that doesn't add up to much."

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>