Is Bazaar's document distributed under GPL?

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Mon Sep 21 03:19:46 BST 2009

Ian Clatworthy <ian.clatworthy at canonical.com> writes:

> FYI, I put the Bazaar website (https://edge.launchpad.net/bzr-alldocs)
> and Migration docs (https://edge.launchpad.net/bzr-migration-docs)
> projects under Creative Commons - Attribution instead of GPL. Unless I'm
> told otherwise, I plan to do the same for the explorer website and
> docs.

The problem with that is the GPL and CC-A are mutually incompatible. It
would be a copyright violation, therefore, for a third party to take a
part of one work, derive a new version of the other work from that part
(e.g. by transferring a piece of program text to website documentation,
or vice versa), and redistribute the result. Hopefully the intention of
the copyright holders is not to prevent such actions.

--
 \     “Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end.” —Igor |
  `\                                                       Stravinskey |