bzr 2.1 timeline

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Thu Sep 17 02:52:53 BST 2009

2009/9/10 Martin Pool <mbp at canonical.com>
> 2.0 is now branched, frozen, and on the verge of release.  We're going
> to keep supporting that branch with bug fixes for the next several
> months at least.  In the mean time, the work on trunk is going to end
> up in a 2.1 early next year.  (See
> <http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/developers/cycle.html> for background.)
>
> We want this version into Ubuntu's next major release, which is
> probably 10.04 and probably at the end of April.  (They have not yet
> announced their schedule afaics, but we can extrapolate from previous
> practice.)  The feature freeze is probably about 9-10 weeks before
> that, ie the end of February.  To get in before their feature freeze,
> and to allow some margin of error, we should plan on freezing the code
> that will go into Karmic+1 in early February.  For ease of
> calculation, let's say every bzr release happens at the start of a
> month.

I've put these into <https://launchpad.net/bzr/2.1> with some tweaks
to make them align to 4-week cycles, with a gap for Christmas/New
Year, and with releases on Wednesdays.  (There seems to be some stuff
to do every time both before and after the release, and Wednesday
avoids problems with long weekends and timezones.)

The next release from here is 2.1b1 on the 30th of September, just
under two weeks from today.

I'll be busy that day so if someone else would like to make the
release I'd appreciate it.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>