[rfc] how to route packaging-specific bugs?

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Sep 16 00:10:27 BST 2009

We get a few bugs like <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/407074> that
are specific to bzr platform packaging.  The platform or package
maintainers are probably best placed to investigate them, triage or
fix them.  However I'm concerned that the overall number of bugs is so
high that people might not be able to find them.

Would any package maintainers comment on how they would like us to handle this?

Options I can think of, in my rough order of preference:

 * Make teams of people interested in these platforms, and subscribe
them to bugs that seem relevant, so they'll get mail about only those
bugs
 * Subscribe individuals that seem interested in those bugs
 * Ditto but assign the bug to the team or person.  (I don't like this
so much because assignment implies they've accepted some
responsibility and they may not have.)
 * Just tag the bugs and let people poll them.  (There is an lp bug
open about letting people subscribe to a tag but it may not be fixed
soon.)
 * Occasionally forward lists of these bugs or individual bugs to the
general or platform list.  (I do this sometimes now.)
 * Make separate products for the packaging or the platform and report
the bug there.  This makes some sense for bugs in the packaging
itself, especially if it is separated out as Windows now is, but it's
less good if the bug is just platform-depndent.
 * Nothing

What do you think?

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>