bzr wouldn't update checkout

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Tue Sep 15 16:04:17 BST 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 09:47:33AM -0500 I heard the voice of
Neil Martinsen-Burrell, and lo! it spake thus:

> Bound branches are necessarily a special case.

So special bzr doesn't have them.  It also doesn't have heavy
checkouts.  Instead it has a bastard mix.  This is the real problem,
and it's terribly exacerbated IMAO by repeated injection[0] of bound
branch terminology and concepts into discussions and onto people
wanting checkouts.

> Another way to look at this is that ``bzr update`` in a bound branch
> does more than just updating my working tree to match the remote
> branch.

I would argue that it shouldn't.  But that's unfixable without
breaking checkouts until the cases are split, and I think checkouts
are a much more important capability than bound branches.

[0] This isn't necessarily to be read as an accusation about this
    case, but as a general observation.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net