Large repo & filtered views

Krzysztof Nowicki krissn at op.pl
Wed Sep 9 08:29:42 BST 2009

Hi,

I've been experimenting with migrating a large repository to Bazaar. It's size
is ~7GB (3GB compressed with 2a), ~25000 files. The repository was created
without problems (maybe except of memory consumption - we have some large
binaries in the repo). However I realized that using such a repo will be real
pain, as for every branch I'll need at least 7GB of space.

Immediately I thought about filtered views and had hope that it would allow me
to checkout only a subset of files and save some space. Unfortunately they don't
seem to work the way I imagined, because a view only filters the status
information presented in the UI, whereas the underlying storage is unchanged
(i.e. the working tree still contains all files).

Is there a plan to support checking out only a subset of files? I'd imagine that
nested trees would be the perfect solution, but is such a feature also planned
for the existing filtered views?

Regards
Krzysztof