bzr-svn: Pushing existing BZR to new SVN repo.

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at
Tue Sep 8 10:06:11 BST 2009

Hi Eric,

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 09:53:41AM -0700, Eric Berry wrote:
>    Unfortunately no. I was not able to get all the history pushed to SVN
> correctly.

> In the cases where I was able to get it imported into SVN without using BZR
> export, I could get the history using the --include-merges option.

> But this didn't work on a fresh checkout from the SVN repo using BZR branch
> (or co).

> I more or less punted and went with hosting on launchpad, but I would still
> like to figure out what I did wrong because it's a very useful feature, and
> I can see myself using it in the future.

The easiest way to push a bazaar branch into an empty Subversion
repository is using something like this:

$ svnadmin create /tmp/svnrepo
$ bzr push -d /tmp/my-bzr-branch /tmp/svnrepo/trunk

Please note that you can't push directly to /tmp/svnrepo since that
path already exists and has a history of its own that is different
from the history you are trying to push. This is the reason for
pushing to /trunk instead.