[RFC] Take the all-in-one windows installer out of bzr core

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Fri Sep 4 09:24:20 BST 2009

2009/9/4 Ian Clatworthy <ian.clatworthy at canonical.com>:
> To clarify, I meant "shipping production releases" every month. For
> example, if someone invents a mega cool plugin in the next month and we
> want to include it in a production release of the Windows all-in-one
> installer in 3 months say, then we ought to be able to do that without
> waiting for the next 6 month production release. I guess it could go in
> 2.0.1 as a "bug fix" but it's not really one of those.
>
> The example above is a bit extreme, though possible. More realistic
> stuff is better documentation (e.g. adding a Desktop User Guide) and/or
> more localisations. Upgraded plugins are another likely thing.

I think the options are:

 * The new plugin is only in the bzr betas for the first few months of
its life.  In practice I think this is what will happen, and it may
not be a problem because the plugin itself may be in beta.

 * Put new plugins into the installer for a stable series, but have
them off by default.  There's probably nothing wrong with this except
that it may tempt people to make what's actually a stable platform
unstable.

 * Make the plugin separately installable either as an exe or as
something specifically managed by bzr.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>