[RFC] Take the all-in-one windows installer out of bzr core

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Fri Sep 4 08:34:48 BST 2009

2009/9/4 Ian Clatworthy <ian.clatworthy at canonical.com>:
> Similar to what we do for OS X and Linux/UNIX distros, I think the
> details of how we build the all-in-one Windows installer and what we put
> in it ought to be taken out of the core. Technically, it doesn't make
> sense for the core to know about what plugins and what versions of each
> are bundled with it on each and every platform.

I agree with that - also because we may make packaging changes after
code freeze, and it would be slightly weird to put them in the branch,
and also slightly weird to put them through pqm if it can't check them
muhc.

It would be nice to have one definition of 'standard plugins' across
all platforms, even if that's implemented in very different ways.

> Practically, I guess it
> hasn't been a major problem in the past when we were shipping every
> month but we won't be going forward.

This sentence worries me a bit.  We will still be shipping every
month, and making installers, we'll just be labeling them differently.
  Won't we?

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>