RFC: Home page design

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Fri Sep 4 02:19:11 BST 2009

2009/9/1 Emma Jane Hogbin <emma at hicktech.com>:
> 1. Utility navigation (the very top strip): do you prefer Design 1 or Design 2?

I like design 2 better because I think it makes sense to have that
strip a bit separate from the masthead with the logo and image
carousel.

I have some doubts about how many people want plugins vs for example news.

> 2. Banner carousel: necessary or not needed?

I think it's good.  I'd like to keep it, though I'd like to add space
for a small caption below it explaining what it is.  Obviously the
default image will not be a terminal.

> 3. Entry points: 4 panes (Design 1) or 3 panes (Design 2)?

I think 3: it will cope better on small devices, and I think the 6
points you have there are enough.

> 4. Additional praise?

They both look like a big improvement.

> 5. Additional concerns?

I'm not sure about giving instructions to the user in the buttons like
"take the tour" compared to instead having links to particular
interesting things they could do with Bazaar.

This may be ill-informed but I'm concerned that the nice green
'download 2.0 now' button, if rendered as a bitmap or svg, will be
hard to update when we make future releases.  I'm sure we can fix that
though.

I like the way Eric took the mini site map from option 1 and put it on
the bottom of the page.  That might be good for people who know just
what they want, without cluttering the main body of the page with
every possible option.

What I'd like to do now is get this turned into actual html/css and
into a bzr branch, so that we can play with the real thing, tweak the
text, etc.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>