bzr-explorer - ubuntu desktop

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Fri Sep 4 02:06:21 BST 2009

>> On 2009-09-02 03:58 , Algis Kabaila wrote:
(snip...)
>>> My question feels out of place in this mailing list (developers list,
>>> whilst I am a user) and this thread - I can not  find in the user manual
>>> the command to run QBzr.  I have it installed from a debian package of
>>> ubuntu.
>>
>> This mailing list is for users as well.  Your questions are welcome here.
(snip...)

>> QBzr provides many different commands (through Bazaar's plugin system)
>> that can be accessed through the command line.  See ``bzr help qbzr``
>> for a list of the available commands.  If you would like a Qt-based GUI
>> for using Bazaar, the project that you want is Bazaar Explorer:
>> http://launchpad.net/bzr-explorer
>>
>> -Neil

I posed this question in a wrong thread, so here is the follow up in a new
thread.

Neil gave me vital information - Thank you.  I attempted to follow it:

ak at amd64:~$ bzr help qbzr
Purpose: The QBzr application.
Usage:   bzr qbzr

  -v, --verbose  Display more information.
  -q, --quiet    Only display errors and warnings.
  -h, --help     Show help message.

  Not finished -- DON'T USE

From:     plugin "qbzr"
See also: plugins/qbzr
ak at amd64:~$

The advice on the third last line - DON'T USE - seems pertinent enough to
follow it.  I guess one could ask, why include the plugin, packaged for a
popular distro (ubuntu) if it is unusable, but that question would not win me
any friends...

The bzr on my desktop is 1.13.1 as shown by the following:
ak at amd64:~$ bzr --version
Bazaar (bzr) 1.13.1

I also installed bzr-explorer, according to the instructions on
http://launchpad.net/bzr-explorer. Here is the dialog on the desktop:

ak at amd64:~$ bzr branch lp:bzr-explorer explorer

This command causes a pop-up, asking "Enter password to unlock the private
key.  An application wants access to the private key "xxx", but it is locked
   Deny  OK"

I found this surprising, as I thought, evidently wrongly, that the private key
is never never to be divulged.  Of course, Clicking the "Deny" gives a short
message as follows:

Agent admitted failure to sign using the key.
Permission denied (publickey).
bzr: ERROR: Connection closed: please check connectivity and permissions
ak at amd64:~$

Well, I did "break the rules" and gave the password and installed the bzr-
explorer in ~/.bazaar/plugins.  Trying to run it, causes the following dialog:

ak at amd64:~$ bzr explorer
bzr: ERROR: No module named trace
You may need to install this Python library separately.
ak at amd64:~$ bzr bzr-explorer

A reference to bzr-explorer bugs, indicates that the problem is fixed.  From my
very fallible memory, fixed by requiring a newer version of qbzr.

It seems that to run bzr-qbzr or explorer I need to install from source.  I
guess I should also install newer version of bzr.  And that raises a question
- which version of bzr?  I would like to start with a stable version.  Can
someone please advise what version of qbzr I should install and if I need to
first uninstall the existing ubuntu-packaged version 1.13.1?

Or should I quietly wait for the new version of ubuntu?

Your work and your help are greatly appreciated.

OldAl.

--
Algis Kabaila, MEngSc, PhD(Eng)
http://akabaila.pcug.org.au/StructuralAnalysis.pdf