No subject

Wed Aug 26 22:14:35 BST 2009

1. Simplicity is king (which includes removing redundant information from
the page)
2. The design should make non techies feel comfortable (information should
be easily to find / understand)

So, my 2 cents:

- Remove the redundant "Download" section below the main banner image. The
green "Download Bazaar 2.0 now" has become the universal quick download
icon. If a user needs to drill down to find a previous release, they can use
the topmost "Download" menu item. Having Three download links on the main
page is not the best use of page real estate.

- Remove the image of the terminal (Bash command line) from the main image.
This image does not promote 'ease of use' for the average user, although
experienced devs will certainly argue otherwise. I have no suggestions about
what to replace the bash terminal image with, if it should be replaced at
all...

~todd

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Tim Michelsen
<timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de>wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  Design 2: http://www.flickr.com/photos/emmajane/3877149251/
>>>
>> More appealing.
>
> I would like to stress something from a users PoV again:
> The site should give fast access to the usual resources (About, Docs,
> Download, Devel).
>
> But as you asked for commendt on the design:
> Make it as less geek/nerd looking as possible. Then you will attrack more
> "outsiders":
> Webdesigner, spreadsheet modellers, authors, ...
>
> Give the rich set of tool more importance. This could be done through the
> banner cycle.
> Selling factors for new users are:
> * support anywhere: any platform, any interface
> * easy of integration into personal workflow
> * increase of productivity.
>
> Kidn regards,
> Timmie

--0015175df3a285509b0472b1dfa1

g (which includes removing redundant information from the page) <br>2. The =
design should make non techies feel comfortable (information should be easi=
ly to find / understand)<br>
ion below the main banner image. The green &quot;Download Bazaar 2.0 now&qu=
ot; has become the universal quick download icon. If a user needs to drill =
down to find a previous release, they can use the topmost &quot;Download&qu=
ot; menu item. Having Three download links on the main page is not the best=
 use of page real estate.<br>
age. This image does not promote &#39;ease of use&#39; for the average user=
, although experienced devs will certainly argue otherwise. I have no sugge=
stions about what to replace the bash terminal image with, if it should be =
replaced at all...<br>
 Tim Michelsen <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:timmichelsen at gmx-top=
lass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); ma=
rgin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Hello,<br>
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><blockquote class=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin=
: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

Design 2: <a href=3D"http://www.flickr.com/photos/emmajane/3877149251/" tar=
get=3D"_blank">http://www.flickr.com/photos/emmajane/3877149251/</a><br>
More appealing.<br>
I would like to stress something from a users PoV again:<br>
The site should give fast access to the usual resources (About, Docs, Downl=
oad, Devel).<br>
But as you asked for commendt on the design:<br>
Make it as less geek/nerd looking as possible. Then you will attrack more &=
quot;outsiders&quot;:<br>
Webdesigner, spreadsheet modellers, authors, ...<br>
Give the rich set of tool more importance. This could be done through the b=
anner cycle.<br>
Selling factors for new users are:<br>
* support anywhere: any platform, any interface<br>
* easy of integration into personal workflow<br>
* increase of productivity.<br>
Kidn regards,<br>
Timmie<br>

--0015175df3a285509b0472b1dfa1--