Any plans/needs to extend the fast-import format?

Sverre Rabbelier srabbelier at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 19:29:11 BST 2009

Heya,

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 05:34, Stephen J. Turnbull<stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Note that there's a third alternative, which is using tag objects to
> store the extra metadata.  With an appropriate naming convention, the
> tag name can be computed from the object it points to.  The tags could
> even be kept somewhere other than refs/tags (although that would lead
> to the risk of them being garbage-collected) to avoid polluting the
> tag namespace.

Such as tag name is 'fast-export-<commit hash>', is that what you mean?

> This would satisfy those who worry that the metadata in commit
> messages is ugly.

And it also eliminates the problem of false positives, especially if
the tags are not stored under refs/tags. Perhaps we could even modify
git gc to not collect them if they are in this special namespace?

--
Cheers,

Sverre Rabbelier