Case sensitivity

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Mon Aug 31 14:46:27 BST 2009

    LD> Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net> wrote in news:h7ggaf$b4h$1
    LD> @ger.gmane.org:

    >> Actually bzr has very good support for renames, and if you treat change
    >> of case as rename (even implicit) and you commit this rename explicitly,
    >> then there is no history hell as you describe it.

I thought we had some support for that, I even say Mark Hammond
worked pretty hard in that area, am I misremembering or did a
patch to that effect never land ?

    >> So any interaction with windows file system should be done only on a
    >> working tree level.
    >>

    >> Alexander
    >>

    LD> OK, so a working practical approach is as follows:

    LD> 1.  When I acquire the source files and before adding them to Bazaar, make
    LD> all of the source filenames lowercase.

    LD> 2.  If, inadvertently, a filename changes case, use bzr rename to keep the
    LD> history stitched together.

    LD> 3.  If I am trying to track a StarTeam repository, good luck.

The point I don't understand is how you end up having files in
different cases registered into bzr if you're using starteam.

1) Do you try to track different starteam views with different
   bzr branches ?

2) Under which circumstances do you end up with the same file
   under a different case ? As fa as I recall Starteam doesn't
   output random case, I even say it acts as case preserving
   (i.e. always outputting the case under which the file was
   first added, but I may misremember here, it's been a while).

I'm pretty sure bzr should at least warn you if a file case is
changed, so if you can come with a recipe to reproduce your
problem, we certainly want to get it fixed.

         Vincent