Any plans/needs to extend the fast-import format?

Greg Ward greg-bzr at gerg.ca
Thu Aug 27 13:47:08 BST 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Ian
Clatworthy<ian.clatworthy at canonical.com> wrote:
> As you didn't ask, here's the tag naming issue:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-fastimport/+bug/386986. I suspect hg is
> equally flexible as bzr is wrt tag names so it's a potential issue for
> you too.

If memory serves, Hg allows any characters *except* newline and colon
in tags.  (Hmmm: could I create a tag with control chars in it?  That
would be nutty.)  So *that* precise bug won't happen in fast-exports
of Hg repos.  But yeah, I guess it's the responsibility of exporters
to ensure that the stream they generate conforms to the fast-import
grammar.  That certainly counts as a spanner in the interoperability
works.

Greg