bzr-2.0rc1 released

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Thu Aug 27 00:58:24 BST 2009

2009/8/27 John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com>:

> Vincent Ladeuil wrote:
>> I'm happy to announce bzr 2.0rc1 which fixes some issues making
>> 2a our default format.

Thanks for making the release.

> I was under the impression that this was supposed to be 2.0-beta1? Did
> we decide to change that, or was this just a mistake.

Vincent, I'm very surprised that you called it 2.0rc1 given all the
previous mail threads about doing a beta first, and that when we
talked last night I said 2.0beta1 several times!

Also, our new policy is that we don't actually send the "released"
mail until the installers are built, but instead we just send mail to
the dev list saying the code is frozen, so that when people see the
announcement they can immediately install it for their platform.

I suppose this is why we have rehearsals. :-)

It's possible the docs need further updates - can you help me find
where that would be, or send a patch?

> As far as it goes I confirmed a fear I mentioned to Martin last night.
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/419241

Thanks for finding and fixing that.

> Is a critical regression in 2.0rc1 versus previous releases, introduced
> by the new merge_sort and new find_ancestry code. (find_ancestry doesn't
> follow stacked fallbacks, and merge_sort has problems with ghosts in the
> mainline.)
>
> I've fixed the second half of this, but still have to work on the first
> half. So expect at least an rc2 soon.

I'll review your other patch.

At this point I don't think it's worth trying to un-release rc1 or to
have the confusion of beta2 following rc1.  So let's just stick with
doing rc2 following rc1 with any further fixes.  There may be a few
more changes than in the usual rc cycle, but not too many.

I do think we should have the final release have basically no changes
from the penultimate rc.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>