Bazaar and Eclipse

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Tue Aug 25 15:01:29 BST 2009

Gary van der Merwe wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Russel

> I didn't think the issue was about branding, rather reducing effort
> required, by reducing duplication of feature. Where it make sense to
> reimplement, e.g. to provide better integration, we should go ahead
> and do that.

Precisely. It would be naive to underestimate the massive amount of
engineering that has gone into QBzr's UI design and internal implementation.

What concerns me about starting from the "let's do everything native"
point is that it can quickly become a huge amount of work. For
developers working on stuff in their spare time, that can translate into
a project that doesn't get completed (vs end user expectations), doesn't
get maintained to a high level of quality, etc.

In comparison, the "reuse QBzr" policy can lead to very good results in
next to no time. Explorer is an example of that IMO.

Ian C.