Python-3.x?

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Mon Aug 24 19:02:32 BST 2009

John Arbash Meinel <john <at> arbash-meinel.com> writes:

> Bob Tanner wrote:
> > What's the status of bzr and python-3.x?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> Doesn't work.
>
> There has been 0 effort (that I know of) to port bzr to python 3.x.
>
> I don't think we are interested in maintaining 2 code bases, and I would
> imagine that there are a lot of changes needed for 3.x compatibility.
>
> Also, we currently desire to maintain compatibility with python 2.4, and
> I don't know that 2.4 is very compatible with 3.x.

When you're ready to make the 3.x jump (which I hope is relatively soon; The
porting of Bazaar's large codebase would set a good example for the community),
you might want to consider a new tool being developed, 3to2. You can maintain
your codebase in 3.x and use 3to2 to backport the code to 2.x compatibility.