[RFD] Merge proposals and code reviews too private

Martin (gzlist) gzlist at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 24 00:20:42 BST 2009

I read the discussion some months back about moving the the launchpad
code review system, but didn't think any firm decisions had been taken
yet. I'm not overly enamoured of bundle buggy, but have been sticking
with it as it's one less thing to relearn. Also means some additional
things like fiddling with ssh can be put off.

On 19/08/2009, Martin Pool <mbp at canonical.com> wrote:

> Sending reviews to a mailing list would mean all the mail was archived
> and it could possibly be fed into gmane or similar things.

I find searching through past patch reviews really useful. Currently,
can't see any obvious way of getting from the just-merged changes
here:
<https://code.launchpad.net/~bzr/bzr/trunk>
To the corresponding code reviews like:
<https://code.launchpad.net/~lifeless/bzr/transform_tree/+merge/10440>
Let alone any way to find something from ages back.

> People have said a few times that they find the main bazaar list too
> high-volume and they wish it was smaller.  I'm fine with splitting it,
> but we need to do it in a way that the lists will be sustainable, and
> I suspect just making a -users one is a poor option compared to the
> answer tracker.  Ian's initiative to create separate platform lists
> does seem good, because there are ongoing communities of interest for
> each one.  We've discussed before that there may be people who are
> quite interested in Bazaar's evolution but not want to follow every
> code review.  Therefore sending reviews to a single separate list
> might be good.

Whether people find the bazaar list too much depends I guess on what
they do with it, treating it as a big bucket for google to search
through mostly works for me. In that context, I don't find the
balkanisation of mailing lists helpful:
* It's a bunch more things to sign up to and keep track of.
* You get the joyous exchanges like "You posted to the wrong list,
this is for the development *of* Fizzle, not development *with*
Fizzle, please repost to the right list (you moron)".

> Whatever we do, we should update the hacking guide, web site, etc.
> Perhaps just doing that would be enough.

Hacking does say bundle buggy is an option, currently.

Martin