[RFD] Merge proposals and code reviews too private

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Thu Aug 20 07:13:55 BST 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 02:07:22AM -0400 I heard the voice of
Aaron Bentley, and lo! it spake thus:

> If the Bazaar project wants to use a tool that wasn't designed
> specifically for it, the project will have to adapt.

Sure.  I don't claim our existing flow is perfect, certainly.  But it
_hasn't_ adapted; we're using Reviews just like BB.  And, AFAICT, it
wasn't ever _decided_ that it was fine; the question was never
actually raised.  It should be.

> I don't see how asking people to submit their code to a code review
> system is inconsistent with code review being separate from the
> general discussion list.

The point is we've been asking people to submit their code to a code
review system long before the point where their message is "Please
consider this for merging", way back at the point where their message
is "Hey, I made this $THING, let's talk about whether we want it
{,like this}".  Reviews by all appearances fits the former well, and
having it not overlap the list may make sense.  Having the latter
divorced from the dev list where the same question is raised for
things that DON'T have code written, though, is uncomfortable to say
the least.  I don't think our current setup serves that case very well
at all.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net