[RFC] deprecation of Tree.path_content_summary()

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Thu Aug 20 01:55:58 BST 2009

2009/8/20 Ian Clatworthy <ian.clatworthy at canonical.com>:
> The path_content_summary API was introduced some time back to speed up
> commit but it's proven to be dangerous in formats (1.14 or later) that
> support content filtering. This has led to some nasty bugs such as
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/405251.
>
> FWIW, we now have a faster commit path that doesn't use this API thanks
> to work by Robert. I think we ought to deprecate and/or eliminate
> path_content_summary() for 2.0.

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/415508

It's ok to deprecate or remove it.  If you're going to do it, do it soon.

I wouldn't spend too much time checking the plugins if I were you.  If
we know it's dangerous and should go it doesn't really matter if they
need to be updated, and they can be updated asynchronously with fixing
this in bzr.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>