[RFD] Merge proposals and code reviews too private

John Szakmeister john at szakmeister.net
Thu Aug 20 00:10:41 BST 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Martin Pool<mbp at canonical.com> wrote:
> A few more thoughts:
> It seems like Launchpad ought to support "I want to subscribe to all
> merge proposals for this project" without necessarily being a member
> of the team that's responsible or trusted for doing the reviews.  I'm
> not sure if that's possible at the moment, and if it's not perhaps we
> should not wait for it but rather work within the facilities that are
> there.

I'd appreciate that.  Right now, I'm still understanding your process,
so I don't have much to contribute on the review front yet, but I
still like to watch what's going on.  Having them all on Launchpad
makes me feel out-of-the-loop... without the possibility of getting
into the loop. :-(

> Maybe we could set the default review team to ~bzr-reviewers and make
> that open membership?

That sounds like a good compromise.

> Sending reviews to a mailing list would mean all the mail was archived
> and it could possibly be fed into gmane or similar things.
> However as Aaron points out, if people reply only to the list their
> comments wouldn't go back into the review and that could be confusing.
> People have said a few times that they find the main bazaar list too
> high-volume and they wish it was smaller.  I'm fine with splitting it,
> but we need to do it in a way that the lists will be sustainable, and
> I suspect just making a -users one is a poor option compared to the
> answer tracker.  Ian's initiative to create separate platform lists
> does seem good, because there are ongoing communities of interest for
> each one.  We've discussed before that there may be people who are
> quite interested in Bazaar's evolution but not want to follow every
> code review.  Therefore sending reviews to a single separate list
> might be good.

Perhaps it's because of the other projects I've participated in, but I
think the Bazaar list is pretty low volume, IMHO.