Benchmark: Git 1.6.3.3, Hg 1.3.1, Bzr 1.17

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Tue Aug 18 01:16:45 BST 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 00:18 +0300, Jari Aalto wrote:

> Yes, that was typical "full clone" scenario.

Except that we know it's not typical, right?

That Bazaar doesn't have a first-class-citizen multi-branch-container
"project" UI drives many of us batty, but the present reality is that if
one is using Bazaar one [needs to] be using a "shared" + "no working
trees" repository at .. or so. If one does, then creating new branches
is blindingly fast.

[That would seem to be the substance of Russell Winder's question about
recommended use patterns a few weeks ago]

And meanwhile if you're working with a large codebase, or underneath an
IDE, then you want one and only one Working Tree. Bazaar's switch
capability is pretty strong now, but it's also an incredibly obscure
feature which is also hard to set up, and one you only find out about
long after you've already shot yourself in the foot doing things the
hard way.

So long as casual users can "misuse" bzr, they will, and bzr will look
bad as a result. Which is why I think fundamentally changing this is so
important. I had hoped it could have been addressed before declaring
1.0. Ah, naiveté.

I'm quite aware of the reasons it is the way it is now, and from first
principles they seem to have been good ones. So I understand that this
is a tough (and, no doubt, tiresome) topic for the Bazaar hackers to
have to listen to.

For what it's worth, I do my best to counter-act this problem by
encouraging people to set things up "properly" from the get-go, for
example with these instructions
http://java-gnome.sourceforge.net/4.0/HACKING.html
but only rarely do people actually know of or follow the recipe (let
alone following it all the way to having a switched Eclipse project).
Which leaves me constantly having to attempt to remotely debug other
people's borked checkouts & branches & setups of our project, which is
not fun, and makes for a lovely first impression of Bazaar for people.

AfC
Sydney