Lessons learned from handling text end-of-line conventions?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Aug 14 06:04:45 BST 2009

Alexander Belchenko writes:

 > Actually hg don't care much and put even subrepositories config in the WT.

git does this too.

 > Perhaps because it's a dot files and they are invisible for ls?

I think it's a little more VC-oriented than that.  Specifically, files
in .git/.hg are not versioned, while dot-files are.  So (AFAIK)
everybody puts the .ignore file in the WT and I think most users
version it.  Apparently git and hg have judged that .modules etc. are
more like .ignore than like the files in the .vcs directory.  Of
course, git is consistently inconsistent about this; the refs (which
live in .git/refs) are now versioned in the reflog.