RFC: remove traceback from "newer branch format than your bzr"

Inky 788 inky788 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 15:37:34 BST 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Russel
Winder<russel.winder at concertant.com> wrote:

> Bazaar should trap any and all exceptions that are about to cause a user
> visible stack trace.  The information that might then be relevant to the
> developer should be prepared potentially for sending to a bug reporting
> system -- in this case Launchpad.  The user should be informed that
> there was a problem -- in language that they appreciate and can relate
> to -- and then they should be offered the opportunity to send in the bug
> information to help further development of the product.
>
> Now the really sensible bit . . .
>
> The user should be able to press Yes or No.
>
> If they press No then they don't care and will likely just reboot their
> computer.  Either that or they will think it a conspiracy to get hold of
> personal data just as all the other error reporting systems are.  OK so
> this is a sad side-effect of a prevalent attitude to current error
> reporting, but that doesn't make it the wrong thing to do.
>
> If they say yes then an bug report should be sent in to Launchpad
> without the user having to deal with stack traces or actually a bug
> report, they need never know what Launchpad is.

I think there's only 2 small things to add to make that perfect. The
user should indeed have the "Yes, send this bug report in", and "No,
you're on your own" buttons. However, there should *also* be:

1. a tiny motivational note that says something like, "Your help is
appreciated, thanks", and

2. a flippy-triangle in the dialog box to actually show/hide (default
is hidden) the bug-report text that would be sent -- with a little
headline that says, "Or email the following text to: XXX".

This way, users who would otherwise help but are skittish about
letting automated programs send info about their system have a way to
help out.