RFC: remove traceback from "newer branch format than your bzr"

Martin (gzlist) gzlist at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 11 15:19:39 BST 2009

On 11/08/2009, Martin Pool <mbp at canonical.com> wrote:

> 2- I agree with Russel we should only log the exception by default,
> though having a means to turn it on (like -Derror) only for unexpected
> errors would be good.  This would implicitly fix some bug reports
> about eg socketerror causing a traceback - it will still be not ideal
> that we just say "no route to host" but it looks better.
>
> Does anyone disagree?

I think the traceback should be hidden if and only if the context is a
GUI dialogue like:

  Bazaar encountered an internal error

    KeyError: Bazaar repository format 2a (needs bzr 1.16 or later)

  * Report bug to bazaar developers
  * Ignore and continue
  * Close bazaar explorer

Where the 'report' option can send the traceback on to launchpad
without the user having to see it.

The CLI is going to remain scary to non-programmers regardless of the
occasional bzr hiccup.

Martin