user guide help (definitions of terms)

Neil Martinsen-Burrell nmb at wartburg.edu
Fri Aug 7 17:23:51 BST 2009

On 2009-08-07 09:34 , Inky 788 wrote:
[...]
> One last bit: (I'm new here.) Is there a 2.0 release coming out soon?
> I think I saw a link somewhere to the docs for 2.0 -- now being
> handled by Sphinx? How can people here get in on tightening up those
> docs (i.e. maybe removing synonyms or at least tightening up some
> definitions of terms) before the 2.0 release? What's the proper
> procedure for cloning, making local changes, and asking to have those
> changes considered for inclusion?

There is a 2.0 release coming sometime soon.  Its focus is on releasing
a new default disk format with improved speed and size.  Along with that
is an interest in getting the documentation improved.  The way to do
this is to make changes to the files in the doc/ subdirectory of the bzr
source-code.  You can then push those changes as a Bazaar branch to
Launchpad where they will be reviewed for inclusion.  I think it goes
like this:

$ bzr branch http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev
$ cd bzr.dev/doc/en/user-guide
$ <hack, hack, hack>
$ bzr ci -m 'Improved documentation'
$ bzr push lp:~your_lp_username/bzr/20-doc-fixes

Then go to https://launchpad.net/your_lp_username/bzr/20-doc-fixes and
select "Propose for merging into another branch" to hand your changes
off to the developers for merging.  A good thing to read before
contributing is doc/en/developer-guide/HACKING.txt.  Good luck!  (My
first contributions to Bazaar were documentation improvements and it's
quite satisfying.)

-Neil