RFC: Bazaar Web site Home Page Redesign

Emma Jane emmajane at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 6 19:35:13 BST 2009

Wow! What great feedback, Thank You. Two short responses to specific comments
are below, a much longer overall response is available at the bottom.

regards,
emma

On Thursday 06 August 2009 2:07:45 am Ben Finney wrote:
> A significant factor in choosing software tools is the license terms
> under which I will receive the tool. I spend far too long on many
> products hunting down the license terms on the website.
>
> This should be on the front page (as a link to the actual license text),
> at least as prominent as the product's short description, to ensure that
> a newcomer can quickly check that criterion.

Good point! Maybe the license could be in the copyright footer as well? Right
now the footer just has (c) 2008 Canonical Ltd. But this could be extended to
include, "Bazaar is distributed under the GNU GPL." with a link to the license
information for the the project.

On Thursday 06 August 2009 12:44:53 am "Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:
> You absolutely :-) need an exit ramp for "Launchpad", large enough
> to make it clear that use of one is really enhanced by the other.  I
> could also imagine a "Featured Developer/User/etc" corner, but that
> gets boring and moldy in about 6 weeks unless somebody takes
> responsibility for changing it about monthly.  Maybe a link list
> including Canonical itself and Ubuntu (as well as Launchpad).

I agree that hosting needs to an entry point from front page into the site. I
also think the guts of hosting information needs to be dealt with on its own
page. I've added a note that "hosting" needs to be a special page just like
"BzrDeveloper" is right now. We've got lots to say about hosting, let's not
try and shoe horn it into the front page!

Overall response:
It's very important that we don't try to accomplish too much on the front
page. The front page is "just" an entry into the Web site. It is not a
solution on its own. We need to entice people to click in. To deal with the
question of "who" we're dealing with, I've written up a list of people that I
think are "vulnerable front page visitors." These are people that we need to
entice to click further, as opposed to motivated users who need to find the
links they're looking for (or who, more realistically, came in a side door via
a search engine).

Please take a look at:
http://bazaar-vcs.org/BazaarPersonas
You are welcome and encouraged to update the document to reflect the visitors
that you think are most vulnerable and that we need to entice past the first
page. In the spirit of avoiding that whole click to read annoyance, I've also
pasted the information here.

Bazaar Personas

Front page

Who comes to the front page of the Bazaar Web site? We need to know this to
get the BazaarHomePageRedesign right. Please edit this document as you see fit.

Let's pretend that Bazaar is a product you can buy. That allows us to use fun
and vomit inducing terms like "sales conversion" and "unique selling
proposition." The front page of the Bazaar site must pitch solutions to
potential customers in a way that pulls them in past the front page where the
real meat of the site happens. To know the right way to funnel people in, we
need to know "who" we're dealing with. This document outlines different types
of people who are landing on the front page that are potential customers.
We'll use these personas to figure out how to funnel each type of person to an
appropriate area of the site where they will ultimately choose to use Bazaar
because it rocks.

Aside: I am going to start with the very big assumption that most people
looking to solve a specific problem are doing a search and have landed "inside"
the Web site, not on the front page.

Kris
    * Occupation: IT Manager
    * Chris is an IT Manager at a medium sized firm. He has 20 programmers in
his department and is getting fed up with using his current version control
system. Or rather, his programmers are fed up with it and that means they're
spending more time complaining than working. A few programmers have suggested
various version control systems and he's checking out the various Web sites.
Although he understands all the technical terminology, he's never used a DVCS
and wants to know how it will affect the productivity of his team. It's very
important to Chris that the software not get in the way. He needs to rely on
the product and be able to deal with a professional who understands the system
if his team gets hung up on a problem. In addition to his programmers, Chris
has a few graphic designers that contribute to his projects on occasion. He's
curious to know what the options are for each of Windows, OSX and Linux based-
distros, but this is not necessarily a deal breaker for him.
    * Needs to find: commercial support options, workflow models, integration
with existing tools

Randy
    * Occupation: Software Developer
    * Randy is completely sick and tired of using CVS. He really wants his
team to switch, but there is resistance to learning a new set of tools. Randy
wants to switch to a DVCS, but needs to prove to his boss and his team that
Bazaar is the right option. His team uses Windows and OSX and are familiar
with the command line, but tend to use GUI tools/IDEs for most of their work.
Ideally Randy will be able to "show" his team how awesome Bazaar is by
pointing at various pages in the Web site. He's sold on Bazaar from hanging
out in IRC and on the mailing list, but now he needs to convince everyone else
on his team.
    * Needs to find: screenshots of GUI clients, available plugins for IDEs,
description of DVCS with workflow examples, intro tutorials that will show his
team how easy it is to use Bazaar.

Dawn
    * Occupation: Developer and Freelance Hacker
    * Dawn is a freelance hacker. In her day job she works for The Man on
large scale banking software. It pays the bills, but she thinks it sucks.
She'd rather be working on open source software projects. She's got a couple
of projects she contributes to, all of which use a different VCS. She knows the
basic commands for all of them, but gets most of her information from
tutorials she finds via Google searches. For the most part she doesn't care
where she gets her HOWTOs, as long as they work. A few months ago she started
helping out with bugs on Launchpad and has been using Bazaar because of it.
She's been using Unfuddle (with subversion) for a couple of her freelance
contracts, but is thinking about switching over to Bazaar and contributing
back to the project.
    * Needs to find: product licensing, sense of the developer community,
advanced user and developer documentation

With these people in mind, let's take a look at the front page wireframe again
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/emmajane/3791477132/):

== Above the fold

Solutions/Features - Solution-oriented, marketing speak
    * Kris needs to see how Bazaar can solve the problems his team is
currently having with his existing DVCS. Out of all of the regions on the
site, this is the most "marketing friendly."
    * Randy skims over this area initially looking for screenshots of GUI
clients he can show his team mates. He comes back to it when he needs
"stories" to show how DVCS works in real projects.
    * Dawn doesn't really notice or care about this region.

Help - The Reassurance section
    * Kris needs to see that commercial support options are available, but
that they aren't the only option. He likes the fact that there is a lot of
documentation (he doesn't have time to read it, but it sure looks complete).
    * Randy notices there's a help section, but also knows that he'll be the
one giving most of the support if he convinces people to switch. He's glad the
documentation looks complete, but is more concerned about seeing how things
work rather than reading about how they work.
    * Dawn read some documentation once, but thought it kinda sucked. She
skims this area but knows Google will help her if she really needs it.

Install - The obvious section
    * Kris and Randy see they can deploy this system on anything that supports
Python. Cool.
    * Dawn uses the Bazaar package for her distro, she doesn't really care
about "installation" but she does care about hosting and installing Bazaar on
her VPS if an alternative to Unfuddle doesn't exist.

Extend - The will it integrate into my life section
    * Kris and Randy both read this part carefully to see what integration
options are available for the tools their team is familiar with. They know
that a lot of "core" programs need to be extended by plugins. They want to
know what the support is like for these plugins, if they are kept up to date
with the current release of Bazaar and if their IDE is in the list of
supported apps.
    * Dawn wants to hack on stuff. She thinks it's really cool there are so
many plugins and starts thinking about what kind of stuff she might build on
top of Bazaar.

== On the fold:
About Bazaar
    * Randy and Dawn scan logos to see which projects they recognize. They
skim over the links in the text to see if there are any extra words that look
interesting enough to follow. They already know about DVCS though and are sort
of blind to walls of text.
    * Kris reads through the "About" text to orient himself in what DVCS is
all about. He uses the links to jump to relevant parts of the site without
having to pick them out the nav list which he can now see in the footer.

Release notes and features
    * Dawn and Randy scan the list to see what the project thinks is a big
deal. Dawn clicks on one of the links about support for a specific feature that
she heard someone complain about on one of her project mailing lists. She
thinks it might be able to solve the needs of the project and is wondering if
she should tell the project to switch to Bazaar.
    * Kris looks at the list and is relieved to see the development of the
project is active. Everything in the list is newer than six months.

Standard footer:
This area should be redundant against the top part of the page as it is
persistent throughout the site. Based on the feedback to date it may make
sense to remove Support and replace it with "About." About could include links
to: Product overview, commercial support options, licensing, hosting.