Https and proxy support in urllib2

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 03:43:55 BST 2009

On 08/04/2009 04:08 PM, Martin Pool wrote:

>>    jam> By the way, it just came up last week that properly supporting python2.4
>>    jam> was important. It seems RHEL 4 is still a python2.4 only system. From
>>    jam> what I can tell RHEL is considered to have a total 7-year lifetime with:
>
> If we keep supporting 2.0 on python2.4 we could potentially go to
> requiring 2.5 for later releases, which might be nice.  It will take
> some thought though, if later releases add formats that 2.0 can't
> read.  Let's get that out first then think about it.

Actually -- RHEL3 has python-2.2, RHEL4 has python-2.3, and  RHEL5 has
python-2.4.  RHEL6 is not out yet but it's based on Fedora (which is
currently on python-2.6) so it's very likely (but not assured) that it
will have python-2.6.

The supported lifetime of RHEL is given on this page (which JAM probably
already found for his explanation of the 7 year lifetime):
  http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/errata/

The important facts from the bottom of that page are that RHEL5 is
supported until March 31, 2014 and that RHEL6 isn't out yet.

-Toshio