user guide help (definitions of terms)

Inky 788 inky788 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 16:03:28 BST 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Neil Martinsen-Burrell<nmb at wartburg.edu> wrote:
> On 2009-08-04 07:56 , Inky 788 wrote:
>>
> [snip]
>
> nmb at guttle[/tmp/test_branch]$ ls .bzr/*
> .bzr/README  .bzr/branch-format
>
> .bzr/branch:
> branch.conf  format  last-revision  lock/  tags
>
> .bzr/branch-lock:
>
> .bzr/checkout:
> conflicts  dirstate  format  lock/
>
> .bzr/repository:
> format  indices/  lock/  obsolete_packs/  pack-names  packs/  upload/
>
> You can see that there are branch, repository and checkout (=working tree)
> subdirectories of the .bzr directory.  Any of these three subdirectories may
> or may not be present in a .bzr directory.

Thanks very much for the detailed reply.

What is the difference between a branch and a checkout?

My understanding was that bzr doesn't work like cvs where you do a
checkout from a repository. All branches have the same status (with
revision history and everything), and all count as a repository,
correct?