recursive commands?

Philippe Lhoste PhiLho at GMX.net
Wed Aug 5 14:51:18 BST 2009

On 05/08/2009 15:41, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> However, when working with files on the file system (as you are doing
> with 'bzr remove'), you want the shell to do its thing and replace the
> wildcards, so you do not want to quote.
>
> This is a general thing which Linux, BSD, etc., have inherited from the
> design of original UNIX systems.  This differs from DOS and Windows in
> that DOS and Windows never perform globbing on the command line, thus
> leaving that duty to the program.

Funny, I precisely hit this issue a few seconds before reading this
message... Come to think of it, I should have used Bzr Explorer...
Anyway, I excluded the bin/ directories from my repository, but I wanted
to add some .properties files from there (JavaFX looks where it has the
classes, so I have to put them there).
I wanted to do:

 > bzr add _QuickExperiments\bin\*.properties
bzr: ERROR: [Error 123] Syntaxe du nom de fichier, de rÚpertoire ou de
volume incorrecte:
u'D:/_PhiLhoSoft/JavaFX/_QuickExperiments/bin/*.properties'

So I added the three files by hand (using autocompletion of shell),
because it would have been longer to use a CMD FOR command or similar
(as I have to lookup reference for it, etc.).

Annoying, but as I wrote, I should have used the GUI I have...

Another annoying point is that once the bin/ dir have been added, the
ignore directive no longer apply to the remainder of the content (but at
least I excluded the .class files).

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France