user guide help (definitions of terms)

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Wed Aug 5 12:38:26 BST 2009

2009/8/5 Philippe Lhoste <PhiLho at gmx.net>:
> On 05/08/2009 03:27, Martin Pool wrote:
>>>
>>> What is a “working tree” in Bazaar-speke? What does Bazaar call “the
>>> actual set of version-controlled files as they currently exist on the
>>> filesystem”?
>>
>> The working tree is these files plus the metadata about them which
>> lives in .bzr/checkout, and remembers their file ids, pending merges,
>> conflicts, etc.  This is represented, oddly enough, by the WorkingTree
>> class hierarchy.
>
> It could be interesting to update or make a more complete version of the
> http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrGlossary page with the above info and more.
> The page above is interesting and useful, but the more "verbose" description
> above (and similar in this thread and elsewhere, I started to note them...)
> is also interesting and useful.

Feel free to put these updates yourself into that page.  Other people
will see your edits and correct them if there are problems.  It's
actually easier to do this kind of work by someone new to the concepts
trying to explain them and then seeking information or confirmation
when they're unsure.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>