[rfc] six-month stable release cycles

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Fri Jul 31 08:20:18 BST 2009

Stephen,

On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 13:53 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
[ . . . ]
> As it is, users and developers of projects related to bazaar are
> always at risk of being seriously surprised (Russell Winder and
> Alexander B come to mind as being vocally surprised types :-).  That's
> not stability, that's beta, and the negative connotation of "beta" is
> inherent in the process of introducing new features to general users.
[ . . . ]

Hey, a name check.  Well I guess it is me.  Putting "Russell Winder"
into Google, gets my home page first anyway despite the spelling error
-- I'm Russel Winder.  Russell Winder appears to be Head of Information
Technology at Hoares Bank according to LinkedIn.

I guess I could go around calling all Stephens Steven and vice versa ;-)

More seriously (indicating the above is serious :-) there is an issue
here about categorizing users so that their feedback can be guided and
routed to the right place.  I am thinking:

	0. bzr.dev
	1. latest released betas (from the beta PPA)
	2. latest released (from the PPA)
	3. comes with the OS

I'm generally a Level 0 user (updated every day), but I'm also a Level 2
user for my server and hence people with whom I collaborate via master
branches I hold.  Given that I am clearly "loud mouth complainer of
Clapham Junction" :-) it is good to be able to direct any and all
supportive or constructive feedback to the right place and in the right
form.

NB  The ordering and numbering above is purposeful as the higher the
number the less surprise there should be and hence the more important
(negatively) adverse surprise factor is.
--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      Partner
                                            xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk
Concertant LLP        t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,   f: +44 8700 516 084   voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
London SW11 1EN, UK   m: +44 7770 465 077   skype: russel_winder