[rfc] six-month stable release cycles

Maritza Mendez martitzam at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 21:57:20 BST 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:00 AM, John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com
> wrote:

I agree that packaging is important in general and especially important for
releases labeled "stable."  This has been a subject of discussion recently
on the list and actually is improving to the extent that people like John
and Guy (and others!) have been able to step up to do the work and provide
feedback.  Make no mistake, packaging is a *big* job -- as big as it is
important.

That said, I also think the proposed stable branch helps to alleviate the
problems some of us may have experienced with the current release process.
If it takes a week to get an installer built for the stable branch, that may
be ok for people using the stable branch.  It is stable, after all.  As for
the development branch, well, anyone who *needs* those should also know how
to build their own installer if need be.

We use a system like this internally at my company.  People who need (or
want) to track the bleeding edge accept the extra responsibility of being
mostly self supporting.  People who just need a stable tool wait for the
installer on the stable branch.  It works well, because we have clearly
defined stable and development branches.

And what *really* helps is that we do not announce a stable release until
the installer is built and tested.

What I'm saying in too many words is that I think the installer availability
situation can improve under the new release proposal, because only the
stable branch needs installers and they can be delayed for QA without
slowing down the core developers.  This is just my two cents as a bzr user
who just happens also to be a professional developer of other products.
This works for us, but maybe not for everyone.

~M