Refreshing the Bazaar docs for 2.0

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Thu Jul 23 02:20:33 BST 2009

2009/7/23 Ian Clatworthy <ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net>:
>> It may be better to make the search thing run a google search across
>> the site, though I guess that won't work offline.
>
> I haven't looked into their searching feature so I'm not sure how easy
> or hard that is yet.

It's not critical - people may work out how to do it themselves - or
we could always just have a link to a pre-configured search page.

>> Can we get this to also provide the index across different doc
>> releases as on doc.bazaar-vcs.org?
>
> If we're happy to have a 'wrapper' site linking down to the docs for
> each release, yes. (We certainly don't want to regenerate the docs for
> every release every time!) Just as the Bazaar home page is patched into
> the navigation bar on the LHS, we can add the top level (wrapper) site in.
>
> This does imply regenerating the wrapper site as part of the RM kicking
> off a new release but I suspect it's worth it.

At the moment there is a cron script on escudero that pulls and if
necessary rebuilds the docs for all interesting pages.  It could
potentially rebuild either the top level site or indeed everything
when it sees a change or a new branch.

>> I don't think any of these points need to block it from being rolled
>> out whenever you like.
>
> If that's a +1 on the patch, please mark the merge proposal as such.
>
> If it's a +1 on the general direction, we need Canonical IS to install
> Sphinx on the server we build the docs on. Let's chat on IRC re how to
> make that happen soon.

I didn't read (or even see) the diff yet so it's more a comment on the
general direction, but I'll read it later.

I suggest you file an RT ticket asking for Sphinx to be installed on Escudero.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>