[RFC] change test output to subunit when stdout is a pipe

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Jul 20 10:51:51 BST 2009

2009/7/20 Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net>:
> On Mon, 2009-07-20 at 17:42 +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
>

>> Maybe (somewhat separate from the selftest option) this should be
>> turned into 'bzr selftest --failures-to failing.list' as a builtin
>> shortcut? I'd probably use that a lot...
>
> It certainly could be. OTOH its so easy to do with subunit(*) I don't
> know that we need to embed the logic in bzr itself.
>
> *: bzr selftest --subunit | subunit-filter --no-skips | subunit-ls | tee
> failing.list

You should come to our ui design sprint :-)

> My goal with subunit is to relieve projects of needing to individually
> reinvent such facilities though. If bzr can use subunit to get a short
> option like you describe without special casing internally I think that
> would be great. Hmm, perhaps file a bug (on bzr) and I'll look at it in
> some idle moment.

To me this is more like something that should be in a standard test
runner than subunit - or maybe you see that as becoming subunit's job.

Probably 75% of bzrlib/tests/__init__.py but python package management
being what it is it's much easier to just put it there.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>