Automatic setting of --author when committing a merge

Nicholas Allen nick.allen at onlinehome.de
Sun Jul 19 10:27:20 BST 2009

> I think it would be a mistake; those people are not involved in the
> merge, they aren't authors of it.
But that's what the committer is for isn't it? PQM would be the
committer and the authors of the revisions to merge would be the authors.
> We have the data about who did what in
> the history, and log can show it (it used to be default, but its not
> anymore, and that drives the sort of question you're asking, IMO).
>
> I'd be in favour of gathering up all the data and showing it on the
> merged revision in log, but that will get rid of the performance aspects
> of log -n1 being the default; - I'd want to raise making -n0 the default
> again at that point.

I expect this would cause big performance problems if you wanted to show
that information everywhere (like in qlog window etc). I would also like
to use the authors information so that when I send an email for the PQM
commit I can set the Reply-To field to be the set of authors for that
commit. I guess my email notifier could scan the merged revisions and
extract the authors from that.

But the advantage of doing it at commit time is that it shows up quickly
in log and qlog command with no performance problems.

Cheers,

Nick